Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Our wildlife refuge?!

So the summer was just so lovely in the back of our house! First it started out with Dan pulling out the pond in the back of our house. The fish were no longer there and we really didn't like it, well he was in for some fun. While pulling out the pond, he screamed at the top of his lungs....

I go out to see what was going on and saw Mr Black Snake slithering away. I called animal control because I was sure what to do and they informed us to just keep the snake because they eat rodents. When the food supply leaves, so will the snake.

He also found a smaller snake and both of them went into another area of the flower garden. Then while we were in the middle of having a family picnic....

Sam the Snake, as Katelynn called him decided to join the party! We realized he was going for the bird eggs in a nest by our sliding glass door. Dan's Uncle took care of him, but I have a feeling he didn't stay away for long.

I didn't get photos, but when we came home from the lake there were two baby raccoons sleeping around the pool pump. Once again I called animal control and they wouldn't come out unless they were rabbid or abondened. Well since we were picking up the dogs the next day, if we didn't take care of the raccoons, the dogs would. Thankfully a friend of ours told us about a great animal refuge we could take them to, so Katelynn and I took them. Once probably wasn't going to make it since it was injured, but the other one they would release into the wild, once ready.

Then it was funny because I was telling our sitter the story about the snakes. She had a horrible look on her face, so I reassured her we got rid of them. Then that day while she was at the house, this snake was in the skimmer. She texted me to tell me and I had to laugh. Then when we got home we realized that it was just a garter snake. Dan got rid of this little guy.


Finally, a little bird got caught in the slider. Dan and the kids were able to save it. After this I realized Katelynn must really be Snow White. Everyday there are bunnies, squirrels and other rodents outside of these special friends.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: